FOREWORD What Would Darwin Have Said?
MyBook is a cheap paperback edition of the original book and will be sold at uniform, low price.
Full text loading...
1. Ada, G. 1994. Twenty years into the saga of MHC-restriction. Immunol. Cell Biol. 72:447–454.
2. Darwin, C. 1979. Origin of Species, p. 453. Gramercy Books, New York, NY.
3. Helenius, A.,, J. Kartenbeck,, K. Simons, and, E. Fries. 1980. On the entry of Semliki forest virus into BHK-21 cells. J. Cell Biol. 84:404–420.
4. Horwitz, M. A., and, S. C. Silverstein. 1980. Legionnaires’ disease bacterium (Legionella pneumophila) multiples intracellularly in human monocytes. J. Clin. Investig. 66:441–450.
5. Katz, F. N.,, J. E. Rothman,, V. R. Lingappa,, G. Blobel, and, H. F. Lodish. 1977. Membrane assembly in vitro: synthesis, glycosylation, and asymmetric insertion of a transmembrane protein. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 74:3278–3282.
6. Margulis, L., and, R. Fester. 1991. Bellagio conference and book. Symbiosis as Source of Evolutionary Innovation: Speciation and Morphogenesis. Conference—June 25–30, 1989, Bellagio Conference Center, Italy. Symbiosis 11:93–101.
7. Pedron, T.,, C. Thibault, and, P. J. Sansonetti. 2003. The invasive phenotype of Shigella flexneri directs a distinct gene expression pattern in the human intestinal epithelial cell line Caco-2. J. Biol. Chem. 278:33878–33886.
8. Pizarro-Cerda, J.,, and P. Cossart. 2006. Bacterial adhesion and entry into host cells. Cell 124:715–727.
9. Portnoy, D. A.,, V. Auerbuch, and, I. J. Glomski. 2002. The cell biology of Listeria monocytogenes infection: the intersection of bacterial pathogenesis and cell-mediated immunity. J. Cell Biol. 158:409–414.
10. Sibley, L. D.,, and N. W. Andrews. 2000. Cell invasion by un-palatable parasites. Traffic 1:100–106.
11. Silverstein, S. 1970. Macrophages and viral immunity. Semin. Hematol. 7:185–214.
12. Silverstein, S. C.,, J. K. Christman, and, G. Acs. 1976. The reovirus replicative cycle. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 45:375–408.
13. Silverstein, S. C.,, and P. I. Marcus. 1964. Early stages of Newcastle disease virus-HeLa cell interaction: an electron microscopic study. Virology 23:370–380.
14. Silverstein, S. C.,, R. M. Steinman, and, Z. A. Cohn. 1977. Endocytosis. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 46:669–722.
15. Specter, M. 2007. Darwin’s surprise: why are evolutionary biologists bringing back extinct deadly viruses? New Yorker, December 3, 2007.
16. Tumpey, T. M.,, C. F. Basler,, P. V. Aguilar,, H. Zeng,, A. Solorzano,, D. E. Swayne,, N. J. Cox,, J. M. Katz,, J. K. Taubenberger,, P. Palese, and, A. Garcia-Sastre. 2005. Characterization of the reconstructed 1918 Spanish influenza pandemic virus. Science 310:77–80.