LAST UPDATED: SEPTEMBER 2012
Copyright Notice & License Information
An individual's access to an ASM Journal Online is subject to the following conditions:
- The person using ASM Journals Online may browse, search, retrieve, and view an ASM Journal Online, and may store or print single copies of individual articles, or discrete items or portions of such articles, solely for the user's own use.
- Unless specifically authorized by ASM in its Instructions to Authors or through other written consent, the person using ASM Journals Online may not:
- distribute a copy (electronic or otherwise) of any article, file, or material from any ASM Journal Online;
- post a copy of any article, file, or material from any ASM Journal Online on a website (Internet or intranet);
- alter any article, file, or material from any ASM Journal Online;
- charge for a copy (electronic or otherwise) of any article, file, or material from any ASM Journal Online; or
- systematically print, archive, or store entire issues or a significant number of articles from any issue.
- For Information about requesting permission to reuse content from ASM Journals, see Permissions and Commercial Reprints.
If you are an author of a paper for which you would like to request permission to reuse content, please read the ASM Journals Statement of Authors’ Rights
- Personal accounts and/or passwords may not be shared. Unauthorized copying or prohibited use may result in revocation of access to ASM Journals Online and/or may expose the user to liability for copyright infringement, including injunctive relief and damages under U.S. and/or foreign copyright laws.
- Any copies of material from ASM Journals Online must include the copyright notice shown on the initial page of each article or, if different, on the portion reproduced.
- This License also applies to accepted manuscripts that are published online prior to publication of the final, typeset articles in an ASM Journal ("ASM Journal Accepts"). The manuscripts are published online as soon as possible after acceptance, on a weekly basis, before the copyedited, typeset articles are published. “Accepts” manuscripts are posted "as is" (i.e., as submitted by the authors at the modification stage), and do not reflect editorial changes that might be made subsequently by ASM or the authors.
- ASM does not hold copyright to authors’ Supplemental Material that may be linked to, or accessed through, an article. ASM may not authorize the copying, storing or transmission of any Supplemental Material. Please contact the corresp0nding author of the article for any permissions sought.
All library/institution/company use is governed by the above principles, by section 108 of the Copyright Act, and by any applicable Site License.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES: These online publications may not match identically with the information contained in the print versions, and to the extent that such differences exist the online editions of all journals officially published by the ASM are the versions of record.
These publications are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or noninfringement. Descriptions of, or references to, products or publications do not imply endorsement of that product or publication.
In no event shall the American Society for Microbiology be liable for any special, incidental, indirect or consequential damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the use of the articles or other material derived from these journals, whether or not advised of the possibility of damage, and on any theory of liability.
ASM Journals Online is under development, and changes may be made in these publications and programs at any time. All advertising appearing in the ASM Journals Online is the sole responsibility of the advertiser. ASM Journals Online does not endorse or warrant any product advertised or any statements made in any advertisements.